Marble is a metamorphic rock meaning ‘the rock has changed’. Formed by other natural materials existing in the earths surface like granite – all natural stones.
The make-up of marble includes different carbonate minerals and limestone. This results in a beautiful natural pattern due to the minerals reacting differently to the pressure forming veins and patterns.
- Unique – Just like granite, will never be able to purchase the same slab twice as it is a natural stone and the pattern is subject to a lot of factors – this allows variation for colours, texture and patterns.
- Reflects light – This feature allows the room to maintain natural light and radiance throughout the room
- Added value – Installing marble in your property and the selling after a few years helps to increase the value as it is a timeless beauty
- Porous – Unfortunately, marble does stain especially with acidic liquids which stain permanently
- Non-scratch resistant – Marble can easily be scratched , this is a very delicate stone
- Cost – Marble worktops is one of the most expensive options compared to other natural stones like granite.
Granite is a pure natural stone, derived from stone quarries. The composites within granite includes natural quartz, feldspar, mica, and other organic minerals. During the early stage, granite is molten magma. The distinctiveness and differentiation of each granite worktop is due to the mineral composition. From the quarries, the stone is then cut into thin slabs, polished and fabricated into countertops.
- Unique – You will never be able to purchase the same slab twice as it is a natural stone and the pattern is subject to a lot of factors – this allows variation for colours, texture and patterns.
- Durable – Granite can break however it is long-lasting and scratch resistant.
- Stain resistant – With the proper care and sealants granite worktops can be stain resistant
- Maintenance – the upkeep of sealing the worktop to prevent strains does need to be regularly which can prove to be costly.
- Installation – Granite worktop does need to be installed by a professional which can also be costly.
- Cost – Granite is on the pricier side of worktops.